5 Key Marketing Updates You Need to Know This Week – September 23rd
Since marketing methods are always being updated, you need to be too.
Stay in the know with these advertising news stories from the past weeks, updated September 23rd, 2021.
1. Roku is officially building an app for the Shopify App Store.
Shopify merchants will soon be able to build, buy and measure TV streaming ad campaigns. You can get your brand’s message into the homes of tens of millions of Roku users before the holiday season.
- Select your audience, set your campaign budget, timing, duration, and upload your creative.
- Launch your campaigns across The Roku Channel and the Roku Audience Network of AVOD channels.
- Measure your campaign across every stage of the funnel.
- Build your brand, and complement your search and social media marketing.
2. iOS 15 has arrived. And it’s going to affect your email open rates.
Apple’s iOS 15 is good news for users and bad news for email marketers.
- Users can choose “Protect Mail Activity” or “Don’t Protect Mail Activity.” Most will choose the former. Which will affect your email open rate statistics.
- Subscribers to the iCloud+ service gain additional privacy protection:
If a user enables a privacy relay and visits your website, Apple will hide their real IP address.
Hide my email lets users create an unlimited number of emails. Apple will forward any arriving messages to their real email address.
- Consider this change when calculating your email marketing open rate.
- If you see a high number of iOS users coming from the same IP address, it’s likely one of Apple’s Privacy Relay servers.
3. Research proves UGC drives trust and loyalty.
It’s pretty obvious, and we’ve always been a huge fan of creator content for years. However, here is some data that proves it. A report from Stackla shows consumers want brands to provide a more authentic and ‘real’ shopping experience. The survey of 2,000+ consumers showed that:
- 80% are highly impacted by USC when making purchasing decisions.
- UGC is 8.7x more impactful than influencer content.
- UGC is 6.6x more influential than branded content.
- 56% are more influenced by social media images and videos when online shopping now than before the pandemic.
- 72% want to see real customer photos and videos on e-commerce sites.
- 80% are more likely to purchase products from an online store if its site has photos and videos from real customers.
- 64% of Gen Z and 60% of millennials left an e-commerce store without purchasing because the site didn’t have customer photos or videos.
- More than 60% of consumers say they would be more loyal to and likely purchase from a brand that let them create UGC for it.
- This is especially important as we enter the holiday season.
4. YouTube is testing a feature to download videos. It’s about time.
Premium subscribers to YouTube have until October 19th to test a feature that lets them download videos from their browser. The subscribers can click a Download button while watching a video, or click a 3-dot menu while browsing. They then can access the videos on a downloads feed that is accessible through sidebar navigation. Additional information
5. Amazon’s smart TVs will give the company a boost in the CTV space and in TV measurement.
Amazon is releasing its first-ever smart TVs. The ‘Fire TV Omni Series’ of TVs will connect to existing smart home tech like Alexa and Ring. But its further moves into CTV advertising and TV measurement is where it gets most interesting.
- Fire TV, used by an estimated 85.5 million people in the U.S., is the #3 most-used CTV product.
- 82.9% of US households are expected to have a CTV in 2021.
- 87% of US households are anticipated to own a CTV by 2025.
- Amazon’s Fire TV products are likely to reach 30.3% of the US population, or 45.3% of CTV users, by 2025.
- Amazon provides data about viewership, metrics, online shopping habits, Alexa use, and more.
Need a hand?
At Operam, we look at your marketing as a whole rather than in isolated silos. As a result, we optimize the value you realize from every step of the customer journey, no matter how many channels it entails. Contact Operam today to learn how we can help you reach your marketing goals.